Department: Education and Community Engagement
Reports to: OrchKids Artistic Director and Site Coordinator
Classification: Independent Contractor
After-school hours during the September – May school year.
During school hours in the June – July Summer Session.
Some evening and weekend commitments.
Start Date: Applications are currently being received on a rolling basis and ideal candidates will be contacted based on openings and availability.
Inquiry: Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls. Applications for multiple teaching artist positions are welcome.
The OrchKids Accompanist accompanies both ensembles and student soloists in rehearsal and performance settings. The Accompanist collaborates with OrchKids faculty to help provide the highest quality musical experience for students in accordance with the mission and educational goals of the OrchKids program.
- Accompany ensemble and/or solo rehearsals and performances for children in K through 8.
- Collaborate with OrchKids faculty to create arrangements and accompaniments that support the musical development of the students.
- Prepare and rehearse students for selected concerts and events.
- Attend and assist in select concerts and off-campus performances.
- Attend monthly evening staff meetings.
- Maintain good lines of communication with OrchKids Artistic Director, Site Coordinator, OrchKids staff, Baltimore City Public Schools site teachers, and students’ family members.
- Fine musicianship skills on piano.
- Strong experience accompanying young musicians as soloists and/or in ensembles.
- Strong knowledge of instrumental and choral repertoire and strong sight-reading skills.
- Passion for and belief in OrchKids’ mission.
- Ability to work effectively with children of diverse backgrounds.
- Desire to be a motivational mentor and role model for OrchKids students and community.
- Flexibility and ability to work collaboratively.
- High level of professionalism and excellent interpersonal skills.
About the Organization:
Under Baltimore Symphony Orchestra music director Marin Alsop’s artistic leadership and direction, OrchKids is the cornerstone of the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra’s efforts to expand the Orchestra’s relevance within the broad and diverse Baltimore community. Believing that music and mentorship open doors and that every child should have the opportunity to experience making music, the BSO's OrchKids has the following mission: (1) Use music as a vehicle to provide Baltimore City children with mentoring, encouragement and vision for a promising future. (2) Create an after-school program devoted to music appreciation, academics, citizenship, community awareness, family and health (emotional, social and physical). (3) Continue to develop the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra as an accessible community resource. For more information, visit www.bsomusic.org/orchkids
The Baltimore Symphony is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The BSO is an affirmative action/equal employment opportunity employer. Discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, handicap, sexual orientation, or national origin is prohibited.