Title: Administrative Intern (Site-based)
Reports to: Site Manager
Classification: Contractual, September-May, July
There are jobs, and then there are jobs where you get to make a difference. Members of our dedicated OrchKids team see the way music changes lives on a daily basis. We’re growing and looking for great people who want to share that power of music with our exceptional students.
OrchKids is a year-round, during and after school, music program designed to create social change and nurture promising futures for youth in Baltimore City’s neediest neighborhoods. Under Baltimore Symphony Orchestra Music Director Marin Alsop’s artistic leadership and direction, OrchKids is the cornerstone of the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra’s programs to make a difference within the broad and diverse Baltimore community. In collaboration with several community partners, including Baltimore City Public Schools, OrchKids provides music education, instruments, academic instruction, and performance and mentorship opportunities, as well as meals and services at no cost. Currently OrchKids works with six public schools in Baltimore City, serving more than 1,200 children from Pre-K through 10th grade.
OrchKids Interns will work with site-based staff to provide support in the operations of a large, music education after-school program. In addition to helping with daily programming and special events, Interns will have the opportunity to implement projects based on their interests and skill set, and participate in professional development sessions on a variety of topics throughout the year.
Specific Responsibilities: The focus of intern work is flexible and depends on their skills, interest, and availability. Areas of learning include but are not limited to:
- Build understanding of day to day program operation
- Help with student transitions and dismissal
- Assist in classroom and cafeteria setup and teardown
- Learn systems of program data collection (attendance, inventory, behavior incidents, etc.)
- Hone behavior management skills
- Provide behavior management support during meals, classes, and transitions
- Assist in tracking student behavior concerns
- Participate in creation of student behavior support plans
- Attend professional development seminars as provided by OrchKids or other recommended organizations
- Develop hands-on understanding of event planning and logistics
- Chaperone field trips and special events
- Assist in distributing communication to the OrchKids community (students, parents, school staff, community partners, etc.)
- Fulfill assignment during concerts as stagehand, child manager, media assistant, or other role as needed.
- Increase experience with administrative leadership and teamwork
- Attend site-based staff meetings and take notes for distribution to staff
- Assist in translating English-Spanish documents, if possible
- Maintain regular communication with Site Manager and Site Coordinator
- Other learning goals and tasks
Requirements and Qualification:
- Desire to be a motivational mentor and role model for OrchKids students
- Flexibility and open-mindedness in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work collaboratively with people of diverse backgrounds
- Experience with children and an interest in developing positive, restorative behavior management skills
- Interest in music, music education, arts education, community building, and/or youth mentorship.
- Successful completion of a background check
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls please. Relocation assistance is not provided. The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra is an Equal Opportunity Employer.