|JOB DESCRIPTION:||Brass Teaching Artist|
|Department:||BSO Education and Community Engagement|
|Reports to Manager:||OrchKids Teaching and Learning Specialist and Site Manger|
After-school hours during September - May school year
|Start Date:||September 2015|
|Inquiry:||Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls. Applications are currently being received on a rolling basis and candidates will be contacted based on openings and qualifications. Finalists will be asked to demonstrate teaching and rehearsal skills at interview.|
The Brass Teaching Artist teaches mixed brass group classes during after-school hours to students in grades 2 -8 grade in accordance with the mission and educational goals of the OrchKids program. Through both small group lessons and larger ensemble rehearsals, the Brass TA ensures the highest quality brass experience for Orchkids students. The Brass TA collaborates with other OrchKids faculty to help develop program curriculum, as well as facilitates positive individual, family, and community growth through guidance and role modeling.
- Teach mixed brass classes of 5-15 students in grades 2 – 8.
- Hold students to high artistic standards, cultivating students’ soloist, ensemble, and improvisational skills.
- Work to develop social skills in students as reflected in the OrchKids mission.
- Reinforce the fundamentals of music as taught during in-school musicianship classes.
- Collaborate with OrchKids teaching artist faculty to help create curriculum and select appropriate musical material.
- Prepare and rehearse students for selected concerts and events.
- Attend and assist in select concerts and off-campus performances.
- Attend monthly staff meetings and professional development workshops as required.
- Maintain good lines of communication with OrchKids staff, Baltimore City Public Schools site teachers, and students’ family members.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Experience teaching elementary music education.
- Fine musicianship on trumpet, tuba, horn, or trombone and proficiency on a secondary brass instrument.
- Strong knowledge of brass repertoire, curriculum, and pedagogy.
- Strong classroom management skills.
- Ability to work effectively with children of diverse backgrounds.
- Passion for and belief in OrchKids’ mission.
- Desire to be a motivational mentor and role model for OrchKids students and community.
- Flexibility and ability to work collaboratively.
- High level of professionalism and excellent interpersonal skills.
About the Organization:
Under Baltimore Symphony Orchestra music director Marin Alsop’s artistic leadership and direction, OrchKids is the cornerstone of the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra’s efforts to expand the Orchestra’s relevance within the broad and diverse Baltimore community. Believing that music and mentorship open doors and that every child should have the opportunity to experience making music, the BSO's OrchKids has the following mission: (1) Use music as a vehicle to provide Baltimore City children with mentoring, encouragement and vision for a promising future. (2) Create an after-school program devoted to music appreciation, academics, citizenship, community awareness, family and health (emotional, social and physical). (3) Continue to develop the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra as an accessible community resource. For more information, visit www.bsomusic.org/orchkids.
The Baltimore Symphony is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The BSO is an affirmative action/equal employment opportunity employer. Discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, handicap, sexual orientation, or national origin is prohibited.