Bucket Band Teaching Artist
|Department:||BSO Education and Community Engagement|
|Reports to Manager:||OrchKids Teaching and Learning Specialist and Site Manger|
After school hours during September-May school year
|Start Date:||September 2015|
|Inquiry:||Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls. Applications are currently being received on a rolling basis and candidates will be contacted based on openings and qualifications. Finalists will be asked to demonstrate teaching and rehearsal skills at interview.|
The Bucket Band Teaching Artist leads bucket band ensemble classes of students in grades 2 – 8 in accordance with the mission and educational goals of the OrchKids program. Through both small group lessons and larger ensemble rehearsals, the Bucket Band TA helps students develop basic ensemble and rhythmic skills as well as respect for an instrument. The Bucket Band TA collaborates with other OrchKids faculty to help develop program curriculum and ensure the highest quality music experience for students. The TA also facilitates positive individual, family, and community growth through guidance and role modeling.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Teach bucket band classes of 10-15 students in grades 2 – 8.
- Cultivate students’ respect their instruments and community
- Hone students’ ability to reproduce rhythms as well as develop their ability to create their own rhythms.
- Reinforce the fundamentals of music as taught during in-school musicianship classes through singing, rhythm games, solfege, etc.
- Collaborate with OrchKids teaching artist faculty to help create curriculum and select appropriate musical material.
- Prepare and rehearse students for selected concerts and events.
- Attend and assist in select concerts and off-campus performances.
- Attend monthly staff meetings and professional development workshops as required.
- Maintain good lines of communication with OrchKids staff, Baltimore City Public Schools site teachers, and students’ family members.
- Experience teaching elementary music education, with strong skills in rhythmic and improvisatory activities.
- Experience leading and conducting ensembles.
- Strong classroom management skills.
- Ability to work effectively with children of diverse backgrounds.
- Passion for and belief in OrchKids’ mission.
- Desire to be a motivational mentor and role model for OrchKids students and community.
- Flexibility and ability to work collaboratively.
- High level of professionalism and excellent interpersonal skills.
About the Organization:
Under Baltimore Symphony Orchestra Music Director Marin Alsop’s artistic leadership and direction, OrchKids is the cornerstone of the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra’s efforts to expand the Orchestra’s relevance within the broad and diverse Baltimore community. Believing that music and mentorship open doors and that every child should have the opportunity to experience making music, the BSO's OrchKids has the following mission: (1) Use music as a vehicle to provide Baltimore City children with mentoring, encouragement and vision for a promising future. (2) Create an after-school program devoted to music appreciation, academics, citizenship, community awareness, family and health (emotional, social and physical). (3) Continue to develop the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra as an accessible community resource. For more information, visit www.bsomusic.org/orchkids.
The Baltimore Symphony is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The BSO is an affirmative action/equal employment opportunity employer. Discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, handicap, sexual orientation, or national origin is prohibited.