Department: Education and Community Engagement
Reports to: OrchKids Artistic Director and Site Coordinator
Classification: Independent Contractor
After-school hours during the September – May school year.
During school hours in the June – July Summer Session.
Some evening and weekend commitments.
Start Date: Applications are currently being received on a rolling basis and ideal candidates will be contacted based on openings and availability.
Inquiry: Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls. Applications for multiple teaching artist positions are welcome.
The OrchKids Musicianship Teaching Artist is responsible for teaching general musicianship classes to children in grades Pre-K through 2nd grade in accordance with the mission and educational goals of the OrchKids program. Classes are taught during the school day at OrchKids school sites and introduce students to the fundamentals of music through singing, rhythm games, solfège, movement, and other engaging activities. The Musicianship Teaching Artist collaborates with other OrchKids faculty to help develop program curriculum and ensure the highest quality music experience for students. The TA also facilitates positive individual, family, and community growth through guidance and role modeling.
- Teach general musicianship classes during the school day to classes of 15-30 students in grades Pre-K – 2.
- Introduce students to the fundamentals of music and music theory through singing, rhythm games, movement, etc.
- Cultivate and maintain a positive classroom environment.
- Prepare students for selected concerts and events.
- Attend program performances, usually at the end of each semester, to lead musicianship ensemble and/or assist students and staff.
- Attend monthly evening staff meetings.
- Maintain good lines of communication with OrchKids Artistic Director, Site Coordinator, OrchKids staff, Baltimore City Public Schools site teachers, and students’ family members.
- Experience teaching early elementary music education.
- Fine musicianship skills as a pianist. (Secondary instrument skills highly desirable.)
- Training and experience teaching Gordon, Orff and/or Kodaly pedagogies.
- Strong classroom management skills.
- Ability to work effectively with children of diverse backgrounds.
- Passion for and belief in OrchKids’ mission.
- Desire to be a motivational mentor and role model for OrchKids students and community.
- Flexibility and ability to work collaboratively.
- High level of professionalism and excellent interpersonal skills.
About the Organization:
Under Baltimore Symphony Orchestra music director Marin Alsop’s artistic leadership and direction, OrchKids is the cornerstone of the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra’s efforts to expand the Orchestra’s relevance within the broad and diverse Baltimore community. Believing that music and mentorship open doors and that every child should have the opportunity to experience making music, the BSO's OrchKids has the following mission: (1) Use music as a vehicle to provide Baltimore City children with mentoring, encouragement and vision for a promising future. (2) Create an after-school program devoted to music appreciation, academics, citizenship, community awareness, family and health (emotional, social and physical). (3) Continue to develop the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra as an accessible community resource. For more information, visit www.bsomusic.org/orchkids
The Baltimore Symphony is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The BSO is an affirmative action/equal employment opportunity employer. Discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, handicap, sexual orientation, or national origin is prohibited.