Department: Education and Community Engagement
Reports to: OrchKids Artistic Director and Site Coordinator
Classification: Independent Contractor
After-school hours during the September – May school year.
During school hours in the June – July Summer Session.
Some evening and weekend commitments.
Start Date: Applications are currently being received on a rolling basis and ideal candidates will be contacted based on openings and availability.
Inquiry: Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls. Applications for multiple teaching artist positions are welcome.
The Orchestra/Band Conductor leads the OrchKids orchestra and band ensembles in accordance with the mission and educational goals of the OrchKids program. Working with students in large ensemble rehearsals of 30 – 40 students, the Orchestra/Band Conductor is responsible for selecting repertoire and developing curriculum in collaboration with OrchKids faculty. In addition to ensuring the highest quality music experience for students, the Conductor also facilitates positive individual, family, and community growth through guidance and role modeling.
- Lead orchestra and band rehearsals of 30-40 students grades 4th through 8th.
- Reinforce the fundamentals of music that they have learned in group lessons and musicianship classes.
- Collaborate with OrchKids faculty to create curriculum, select appropriate musical material, and design creative learning opportunities for students.
- Occasionally lead chamber music groups and smaller ensembles.
- Prepare and rehearse students for selected concerts and events.
- Attend and assist in select concerts and off-campus performances.
- Attend monthly evening staff meetings.
- Maintain good lines of communication with OrchKids Artistic Director, Site Coordinator, OrchKids staff, Baltimore City Public Schools site teachers, and students’ family members.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Proven skills and experience leading orchestral and band ensembles.
- Strong knowledge of orchestral and band repertoire, curriculum, and pedagogy.
- Exceptional classroom management skills.
- Fine musicianship skills on an orchestral and/or band instrument. Skills on a secondary instrument highly desirable.
- Passion for and belief in OrchKids’ mission.
- Ability to work effectively with children of diverse backgrounds.
- Desire to be a motivational mentor and role model for OrchKids students and community.
- Flexibility and ability to work collaboratively.
- High level of professionalism and excellent interpersonal skills.
About the Organization:
Under Baltimore Symphony Orchestra music director Marin Alsop’s artistic leadership and direction, OrchKids is the cornerstone of the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra’s efforts to expand the Orchestra’s relevance within the broad and diverse Baltimore community. Believing that music and mentorship open doors and that every child should have the opportunity to experience making music, the BSO's OrchKids has the following mission: (1) Use music as a vehicle to provide Baltimore City children with mentoring, encouragement and vision for a promising future. (2) Create an after-school program devoted to music appreciation, academics, citizenship, community awareness, family and health (emotional, social and physical). (3) Continue to develop the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra as an accessible community resource. For more information, visit www.bsomusic.org/orchkids
The Baltimore Symphony is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The BSO is an affirmative action/equal employment opportunity employer. Discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, handicap, sexual orientation, or national origin is prohibited.