Title: OrchKids Summer Intern
Reports to: OrchKids Manager of Teaching and Learning and Site Manager
Classification: Contractual or Unpaid (see below)
Dates: June 26 – July 22, 2017
Hours: Approximately 25 hours per week during program time (Monday – Friday, 8 am – 4:30 pm). Hours can be flexible depending on availability. Some weekend and evening hours are required.
Compensation: Both paid and unpaid internships are available.
- Paid interns receive $50/week and must be available to work 25 hours per week. These positions are typically offered to college students who are interested in pursuing a career in music, education, and arts administration.
- Unpaid internships are often pursued by high school and college students looking to fulfill service learning requirements (or those who are just interested in giving back to the community in a fun, musically-driven environment!).
There are jobs, and then there are jobs where you get to make a difference. Members of our dedicated OrchKids team see the way music changes lives on a daily basis. We’re growing and looking for great people who want to share that power of music with our exceptional students.
OrchKids is a year-round, during and after school, music program designed to create social change and nurture promising futures for youth in Baltimore City’s neediest neighborhoods. Under Baltimore Symphony Orchestra Music Director Marin Alsop’s artistic leadership and direction, OrchKids is the cornerstone of the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra’s programs to make a difference within the broad and diverse Baltimore community. In collaboration with several community partners, including Baltimore City Public Schools, OrchKids provides music education, instruments, academic instruction, and performance and mentorship opportunities, as well as meals and services at no cost. Currently OrchKids works with six public schools in Baltimore City, serving more than 1,200 children from Pre-K through 10th grade.
The BSO OrchKids program is seeking several Interns for its 2016 Summer Session. The Interns will work with OrchKids staff to provide support in the operations of a large, music education non-profit. In addition to helping with teaching responsibilities, administrative duties, and special program projects, Interns will have the opportunity to participate in leadership training seminars on a variety of topics throughout the summer.
Specific Responsibilities: The focus of intern work is flexible and dependent on skills and interest. Areas of responsibility include but are not limited to:
- Day-to-day program operations:
- Support in managing instrument inventory
- Collect and maintain program data (student attendance, family information, etc.)
- Help with student transitions and dismissal
- Assist in classroom setup and teardown
- Provide child management support
- Concert logistics and event management
- Artistic research projects
- Audio visual, photography and graphic design:
- Help to create and edit video and photography for PR purposes and special projects
- Assist with the design and execution of publicity/marketing materials
- Assist with the maintenance of the OrchKids website and blog
- Assist lead instructors in group classes and ensemble rehearsals
- Perform one-on-one pull-outs for individual student players
- Artistic: Assist with the creation and management of art projects for enrichment classes
Experience and Qualifications:
- Passion for and belief in OrchKids’ mission.
- Desire to be a motivational mentor and role model for OrchKids students and community
- Flexibility and ability to work collaboratively
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Background in music, education and/or youth development a plus.
- Personal transportation to and from OrchKids program sites
The Baltimore Symphony is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The BSO is an affirmative action/equal employment opportunity employer. Discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, handicap, sexual orientation, or national origin is prohibited.
How to Apply:
Please submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com with OrchKids Summer Intern in the subject. In your cover letter, please highlight in which areas of responsibility you are most qualified and interested in working. No phone calls please. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.