Are you an educator who is passionate about making a difference? Do you want to be part of vibrant community of musicians and teachers dedicated to creating transformative musical experiences for Baltimore City students? If so, apply to become part of the BSO OrchKids team!
Position(s): Flute Teaching Artist / Clarinet Teaching Artist / Saxophone Teaching Artist
Department: BSO OrchKids Program
Reports to: OrchKids Manager of Teaching and Learning and Site Manager
Classification: Independent Contractor
Hours: After-school hours during the September – May school year. Some evening and weekend commitments.
Start Date: Late September 2016
Inquiry: Please submit a cover letter and resume to OrchKids@BSOmusic.org. No phone calls. Applications are currently being received on a rolling basis and candidates will be contacted based on openings and qualifications. Finalists will be asked to demonstrate teaching and rehearsal skills at interview.
The Woodwind Teaching Artists teach either flute, clarinet or saxophone group classes during after-school hours to students in grades 2-8 in accordance with the mission and educational goals of the OrchKids program. Through both small group lessons and larger ensemble rehearsals, the Woodwind TA ensures the highest quality woodwind experience for Orchkids students. The Woodwind TA collaborates with other OrchKids faculty to help develop program curriculum, as well as facilitates positive individual, family, and community growth through guidance and role modeling.
- Teach mixed woodwind classes of 5-10 students in grades 2–8
- Hold students to high artistic standards, cultivating students’ soloist, ensemble and improvisational skills
- Work to develop social skills in students as reflected in the OrchKids mission
- Reinforce the fundamentals of music as taught during in-school musicianship classes
- Collaborate with OrchKids teaching artist faculty to help create curriculum and select appropriate musical material
- Prepare and rehearse students for selected concerts and events
- Attend and assist in select concerts and off-campus performances
- Attend monthly staff meetings and professional development workshops as required
- Maintain good lines of communication with OrchKids staff, Baltimore City Public Schools site teachers and students’ family members
- Experience teaching elementary music education
- Fine musicianship on flute, clarinet, or saxophone and proficiency on a secondary wind instrument
- Strong knowledge of woodwind repertoire, curriculum, and pedagogy.
- Strong classroom management skills
- Ability to work effectively with children of diverse backgrounds.
- Passion for and belief in OrchKids’ mission
- Desire to be a motivational mentor and role model for OrchKids students and community
- Flexibility and ability to work collaboratively
- High level of professionalism and excellent interpersonal skills
About the Organization:
Under Baltimore Symphony Orchestra Music Director Marin Alsop’s artistic leadership and direction, OrchKids is the cornerstone of the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra’s efforts to expand the Orchestra’s relevance within the broad and diverse Baltimore community. Believing that music and mentorship open doors and that every child should have the opportunity to experience making music, the BSO's OrchKids has the following mission: (1) Use music as a vehicle to provide Baltimore City children with mentoring, encouragement and vision for a promising future. (2) Create an after-school program devoted to music appreciation, academics, citizenship, community awareness, family and health (emotional, social and physical). (3) Continue to develop the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra as an accessible community resource. For more information, visit BSOmusic.org/OrchKids.
The Baltimore Symphony is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The BSO is an affirmative action/equal employment opportunity employer. Discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, handicap, sexual orientation or national origin is prohibited.