BSO Academy Week Chamber Track
June 20-26, 2015
Play with the Pros: BSO musicians coach and play in all chamber ensembles
The new and improved Chamber Music Track offers a constructive, nurturing environment that will take your playing and enjoyment to new levels. Created with the avid chamber musician in mind, each participant on the Chamber Track will rehearse and perform in two ensembles, a large ensemble and a small ensemble. All ensembles will be led by a BSO musician who will coach and play in the group. The full day schedule allows participants to participate in all masterclasses and workshops led by BSO musicians throughout the week. New this year will be special classes only for Chamber Track participants.
Chamber Track Schedule*: June 20-26, 2015
*Track schedule, faculty, content, and locations subject to change.
Small Chamber Ensemble: Participants will have four rehearsals (1.5 hours each) and a performance in a small chamber group such as a quartet or quintet. Each group will have a BSO musician who will play with the group and and coach the ensemble. Each BSO coach will decide the repertoire to be played after consulting with the members of the group.
Large Chamber Ensemble: Participants will have four rehearsals (1.5 hours each) and perform in a larger ensemble such as an octet, dectet, or small chamber orchestra, dependent on enrollment and instrumentation. Each group will have a BSO musician who will play with the group and coach the ensemble.
Academy Chamber Orchestra (ACO)
2015 ACO Repertoire
Beethoven Symphony No. 8
Mendelssohn Symphony No. 4
BSO Concertmaster Jonathan Carney will conduct the Academy Chamber Orchestra. The Academy Chamber Orchestra is not a side-by-side experience. BSO musicians will play prinicipal positions in the violin, viola, and cello sections only. Placement in the Chamber Orchestra requires a BSO faculty recommendation. If you have not attended the BSO Academy in the past and would like to be considered for placement in the Chamber Orchestra, please send a CD or DVD of your playing to demonstrate your ability level. Mail recordings to:
BSO Academy Attn: Johnnia Stigall
Baltimore Symphony Orchestra
1212 Cathedral St.
Baltimore, MD 21201
Or email sound/video files to firstname.lastname@example.org
One sectional for woodwinds, brass, and timpani led by a BSO coach is provided prior to the first rehearsal. Jonathan Carney leads a string sectional prior to the first rehearsal.
BSO Faculty Classes and Chamber Activities
- BSO faculty classes, masterclasses, and workshops with Dr. Noa Kageyama (The Bulletproof Musician)
- Workshops on ensemble playing and musical analysis for the chamber musician
- Several reading sessions with piano for solo and chamber works
- Special time and space made available for informal, self-organized reading sessions or practice.
Meals and Social Activities
- Chamber Track participants join with Orchestral and Music Educator Track participants for all of the provided meals including the faculty chamber concert, welcome dinner, lunch with the BSO musicians, and private lunch with Marin Alsop.
Participants in the Chamber Track will also receive:
- Performances: Participants have the opportunity to perform during the week.
- Recordings: Participants will receive a digital copy of their performances.
- Individual Practice: Space is available for participants to practice on their own during their free time throughout the week.
Add-On Program Activities Include:
- Private Lessons*: Participants may take private lessons with a BSO member of their choice. Participants may choose to work on solo, chamber or orchestral repertoire. Participants may choose to have several lessons with different faculty members.
- Solo with Piano*: rehearse and perform a solo piece with pianist and BSO violist Mary Woehr. Solo with Piano rehearsal and performance scheduled for Sunday, June 21.
* Additional fee required for participation
Chamber Track: $1,900
Chamber Music Alone*: $900
Chamber Orchestra Alone*: $900
*Participation in chamber music and the Academy Chamber Orchestra are available as stand-alone offerings during the BSO Academy Week. This rate only applies to participants who are not on an Academy Track (Orchestral, Chamber Music, Music Educator, or Arts Administrator) and acceptance is limited to space available. This rate does not include any classes, masterclasses, or workshops during the week. It does not include any lunch meals. However, this rate does include attendance at the faculty chamber concert and welcome dinner.
Not sure if the Academy Chamber Track is right for you?
Please contact us and we will counsel you regarding the rigors of the program and put you in contact with our faculty and past participants in order to help you decide which track in the BSO Academy Week is the right experience for you. Email us at email@example.com.
All fees (i.e. application fee, deposit, tuition, parking, private lessons, etc.) are NON-REFUNDABLE. We highly encourage participants to purchase Academy trip insurance. Information regarding trip insurance will be made available to those accepted into the Academy.
At this time, we are only accepting Chamber Track applications for the following instruments: Chamber Track Violin, Chamber Track Viola, Chamber Track Timpani/Percussion. Applications are being accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis.