BSO Academy Week Chamber Track
The 2015 Academy Week was featured on NPR Classical's Deceptive Cadence! Click here for the story!
The 2015 Academy Week has concluded. Please check back soon for information about the 2016 Academy!
June 20-26, 2015
Play with the Pros: BSO musicians coached and played in all chamber ensembles
The new and improved Chamber Music Track offered a constructive, nurturing environment that took your playing and enjoyment to new levels. Created with the avid chamber musician in mind, each participant on the Chamber Track rehearsed and performed in two ensembles, a large ensemble and a small ensemble. All ensembles were led by a BSO musician who coached and played in the group. The full day schedule allowed participants to participate in all masterclasses and workshops led by BSO musicians throughout the week. New in 2015 were special classes only for Chamber Track participants.
Chamber Track Schedule*: June 20-26, 2015
*Track schedule, faculty, content, and locations subject to change.
Small Chamber Ensemble: Participants had four rehearsals (1.5 hours each) and a performance in a small chamber group such as a quartet or quintet. Each group had a BSO musician who played with the group and coached the ensemble. Each BSO coach decided the repertoire to be played after consulting with the members of the group.
Large Chamber Ensemble: Participants had four rehearsals (1.5 hours each) and performed in a larger ensemble such as an octet, dectet, or small chamber orchestra, dependent on enrollment and instrumentation. Each group had a BSO musician who played with the group and coached the ensemble.
Academy Chamber Orchestra (ACO)
2015 ACO Repertoire
Beethoven Symphony No. 8
Mendelssohn Symphony No. 4
BSO Concertmaster Jonathan Carney conducted the Academy Chamber Orchestra. The Academy Chamber Orchestra was not a side-by-side experience. BSO musicians played prinicipal positions in the violin, viola, and cello sections only. Placement in the Chamber Orchestra required a BSO faculty recommendation.
One sectional for woodwinds, brass, and timpani led by a BSO coach was provided prior to the first rehearsal. Jonathan Carney led a string sectional prior to the first rehearsal.
BSO Faculty Classes and Chamber Activities
- BSO faculty classes, masterclasses, and workshops with Dr. Noa Kageyama (The Bulletproof Musician)
- Workshops on ensemble playing and musical analysis for the chamber musician
- Several reading sessions with piano for solo and chamber works
- Special time and space made available for informal, self-organized reading sessions or practice.
Meals and Social Activities
- Chamber Track participants joined with Orchestral and Music Educator Track participants for all of the provided meals including the faculty chamber concert, welcome dinner, lunch with the BSO musicians, and private lunch with Marin Alsop.
Participants in the Chamber Track will also receive:
- Performances: Participants had the opportunity to perform during the week.
- Recordings: Participants received a digital copy of their performances.
- Individual Practice: Space was available for participants to practice on their own during their free time throughout the week.
Add-On Program Activities Include:
- Private Lessons*: Participants could take private lessons with a BSO member of their choice. Participants could choose to work on solo, chamber or orchestral repertoire. Participants could choose to have several lessons with different faculty members.
- Solo with Piano*: Participants could rehearse and perform a solo piece with pianist and BSO violist Mary Woehr. Solo with Piano rehearsal and performance was scheduled for Sunday, June 21.
* Additional fee required for participation
Chamber Track: $1,900
Chamber Music Alone*: $900
Chamber Orchestra Alone*: $900
*Participation in chamber music and the Academy Chamber Orchestra were available as stand-alone offerings during the BSO Academy Week. This rate only applied to participants who are not on an Academy Track (Orchestral, Chamber Music, Music Educator, or Arts Administrator) and acceptance was limited to space available. This rate did not include any classes, masterclasses, or workshops during the week. It did not include any lunch meals. However, this rate did include attendance at the faculty chamber concert and welcome dinner.
All fees (i.e. application fee, deposit, tuition, parking, private lessons, etc.) were NON-REFUNDABLE. We highly encouraged participants to purchase Academy trip insurance. Information regarding trip insurance was be made available to those accepted into the Academy.