BSO Academy Week Orchestral Track
2016 Orchestral Track
The 2016 BSO Academy Week has concluded. Please see information about the 2016 Academy below and stay tuned for information about the 2017 program!
BSO Academy Week Orchestral Track June 18-25, 2016
The Orchestral Track offers musicians an intensive orchestral experience through rehearsals, sectionals, and performances of major orchestral repertoire side-by-side with the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra.
Nicholas Hersh, Conductor
Repertoire links open in new window to IMSLP.org.
- Sectionals with the BSO: BSO members lead participants in preparatory sectionals before the week’s orchestral rehearsals begin.
- Participant-Only Rehearsals: The BSO Assistant Conductor Nicholas Hersh leads participants in preparatory rehearsals to understand how the music fits together prior to the start of the full orchestra rehearsals.
- Rehearsals with the BSO: BSO Assistant Conductor Nicholas Hersh leads BSO members and two distinct groups of Academy participants in side-by-side rehearsals throughout the week.
- Performance with the BSO: Culminating the week, participants and BSO members perform together on stage at the Meyerhoff in a public performance
- NEW in 2016: Participants will take part in rehearsals and a performance in the Academy String Orchestra, Woodwind Ensembles, Brass Ensemble, or Percussion Ensemble under the direction of BSO faculty members. Participation is included in the base tuition.
- Guest Speakers: In 2016, the BSO Academy will include a two-day residency by renowned performance psychologist Dr. Noa Kageyama, author of the blog The Bulletproof Musician.
- BSO Faculty Classes: Classes and seminars on exciting, relevant topics are presented by BSO faculty throughout the week.
- Recordings: Participants receive a digital copy of their performances.
See the Fees & Schedules page for the 2016 Orchestral Track schedule.
Participants on the orchestral track also have the option of adding additional activities to their Academy experience!
Add-On Program Activities Include:
Solo with Piano: Participants rehearse and perform a solo piece with pianist and BSO violist Mary Woehr. Limited space available.
– $50, 10 minute rehearsal with piano (5 minute piece maximum)
– $100, 20 minute rehearsal with piano (10 minute piece maximum)
Private Lessons*: Participants take up to four private lessons with BSO members of their choosing to work on solo, chamber, or orchestral repertoire. Private lessons are scheduled on Saturday, June 18, and Sunday, June 19.
– $130, 1 hour lesson (Purchased before April 1, 2016)
– $170, 1 hour lesson (Purchased between April 2, 2016 – June 1, 2016)
– $200, 1 hour lesson (Purchased after June 2, 2016)
*Scheduling private lessons after April 1 is nearly impossible and causes major distruptions to the program schedule. Sign up early and get a great rate!
Chamber Music: Participants rehearse and perform in side-by-side chamber groups with Baltimore Symphony members. Chamber groups are quartets or larger.
– $650, 1 chamber music group; Four 1.5 hour rehearsals and one concert
Academy Chamber Orchestra (ACO): Participants play chamber orchestra works in a smaller ensemble conducted by BSO Concertmaster Jonathan Carney with string sections led by BSO members and wind sections coached by BSO musicians.
– $650; Four 1.5 hour rehearsals, one 1.5 hour sectional, and one concert
Repertoire links open in new window to IMSLP.org.
*Repertoire is subject to change.
The Academy Chamber Orchestra is not a side-by-side orchestra and players need to be able to comfortably carry their own parts. To help with placement in the ACO, we would like for all NEW Academy applicants to submit a short (5-10 minutes), recent (within the past year) sample of solo playing. But don’t worry, this is NOT an audition! The purpose of this recording is to help with placement if you are accepted and it will not affect or influence our consideration of your application as a whole.
To submit a recording: 1. Upload a sound or video file with your application (or send via email to firstname.lastname@example.org), OR 2. Mail a CD or DVD to: Baltimore Symphony Orchestra Attn: BSO Academy 1212 Cathedral St. Baltimore, MD 21201
Additional Orchestra (Play in Group 1 & Group 2 Orchestras): As space allows, participants may request to play in both Academy full orchestras. Please note that this option is only available as space allows and would require participants to miss other Academy activities.
– $750, Four extra full orchestra rehearsals, one extra sectional session, one extra participants-only rehearsal, and one extra full orchestra performance
Orchestral Track: $1,900
Included in Base Tuition – All Academy masterclasses, BSO faculty classes, guest speaker presentations, select lunches and dinners throughout the week, admittance to the Academy Banquet ($65 value), transportation to Academy activities from select locations, participation in the Academy String Orchestra, Woodwind Ensembles, Brass Ensemble, or Percussion Ensemble, admission to all Academy performances and receptions, one 2-hour orchestra sectional, one 1.5-hour participants-only orchestra rehearsal, approximately 5.5 hours of rehearsals on stage with the BSO, and one full orchestra performance. Following the Academy, all participants will receive digital recordings of all Academy performances and professional photography documenting the week.
All times are approximate.
Scholarships & NEW Tuition Discounts Available! See the Fees & Schedules page for more information!
Refund Policy: All fees (i.e. application fee, deposit, tuition, parking, private lessons, etc.) are NON-REFUNDABLE.