BSO Academy Week Orchestral Track
The 2015 BSO Academy Orchestral Track was featured on NPR Classical's Deceptive Cadence! Click here for the story!
The 2015 Academy Week has concluded. Please check back soon for information about the 2016 Academy!
June 21-27, 2015
The Orchestral Track offered musicians an intensive orchestral experience through rehearsals, sectionals, and performances of major orchestral repertoire side-by-side with the BSO.
Orchestral Track Schedule*: June 21-27, 2015
*Track schedule, faculty, content, and locations subject to change.
Wagner: Overture to Rienzi
Mahler: Third Movement from Symphony No. 1, “Titan”
Stravinsky: The Firebird Suite (1919)
Rimsky-Korsakov: Russian Easter Overture
Mahler: First Movement from Symphony No. 5
Tchaikovsky: Fourth Movement from Symphony No. 2
- Sectionals with the BSO: BSO members led participants in preparatory sectionals before the week’s orchestral rehearsals begin.
- Participant-Only Rehearsals: The BSO Assistant Conductor Nicholas Hersh led participants in preparatory rehearsals to understand how the music fits together prior to the start of the full orchestra rehearsals.
- Rehearsals with the BSO: Maestra Marin Alsop led BSO members and two groups of Academy participants in side-by-side rehearsals throughout the week.
- Performance with the BSO: Culminating the week, participants and BSO members performed together under the baton of Marin Alsop onstage at the Meyerhoff in front of an audience.
- BSO Faculty Classes: Classes and seminars on interesting topics were presented by BSO faculty throughout the week.
- Individual Practice: Space was available for participants to practice on their own during free time throughout the week.
- Recordings: Participants received a digital copy of their performances.
Participants on the orchestral track also had the option of adding chamber music and/or chamber orchestra to their Academy experience. Add-on activities began on June 20.
Add-On Program Activities Included:
- Chamber Music *: Participants rehearsed and performed in side-by-side chamber groups with Baltimore Symphony members. Chamber groups were quartets or larger. Rehearsals for Chamber Music began Saturday, June 20.
- Academy Chamber Orchestra (ACO) *: Participants played chamber orchestra works in a smaller ensemble with string sections led by BSO members and wind sections coached by BSO musicians. Rehearsals for ACO began Saturday, June 20.
- Private Lessons *: Participants took private lessons with one or more BSO members of their choosing. They could work on solo, chamber or orchestral repertoire. Private lessons were scheduled on Saturday, June 20 and Sunday, June 21.
- Solo with Piano*: Participants rehearsed and performed a solo piece with pianist and BSO violist Mary Woehr. Solo with Piano rehearsal and performance was scheduled for Sunday, June 21.
* Additional fee was required for participation. Please note that chamber music and chamber orchestra rehearsals began June 20.
Orchestral Track: $1,900
Chamber Music Add-On: $650
Chamber Orchestra Add-On: $650
Scholarships: A limited number of full and partial scholarships were awarded to qualifying participants on the Orchestral or Music Educator Tracks. Click the link below for more details. (PDF Scholarship Application opens in a new window.)
All fees (i.e. application fee, deposit, tuition, parking, private lessons, etc.) were NON-REFUNDABLE. We highly encouraged participants to purchase Academy trip insurance. Information regarding trip insurance was made available to those accepted into the Academy.