BSO Academy Week Orchestral Track
June 21-27, 2015
The Orchestral Track offers musicians an intensive orchestral experience through rehearsals, sectionals, and performances of major orchestral repertoire side-by-side with the BSO.
Orchestral Track Schedule*: June 21-27, 2015
*Track schedule, faculty, content, and locations subject to change.
2015 Repertoire *
Wagner: Overture to Rienzi
Mahler: Third Movement from Symphony No. 1, “Titan”
Stravinsky: The Firebird Suite (1919)
Rimsky-Korsakov: Russian Easter Overture
Mahler: First Movement from Symphony No. 5
Tchaikovsky: Fourth Movement from Symphony No. 2
*Repertoire is subject to change
- Sectionals with the BSO: BSO members lead participants in preparatory sectionals before the week’s orchestral rehearsals begin.
- Participant-Only Rehearsals: The BSO Assistant Conductor Nicholas Hersh leads participants in preparatory rehearsals to understand how the music fits together prior to the start of the full orchestra rehearsals.
- Rehearsals with the BSO: Maestra Marin Alsop leads BSO members and two groups of Academy participants in side-by-side rehearsals throughout the week.
- Performance with the BSO: Culminating the week, participants and BSO members perform together under the baton of Marin Alsop onstage at the Meyerhoff in front of an audience.
- BSO Faculty Classes: Classes and seminars on interesting topics presented by BSO faculty throughout the week.
- Individual Practice: Space available for participants to practice on their own during free time throughout the week.
- Recordings: Participants will receive a digital copy of their performances.
Participants on the orchestral track will also have the option of adding chamber music and/or chamber orchestra to their Academy experience. Add-on activities begin on June 20.
Add-On Program Activities Include:
- Chamber Music *: Rehearse and perform in side-by-side chamber groups with Baltimore Symphony members. Chamber groups must be quartets or larger. Rehearsals for Chamber Music begin Saturday, June 20.
- Academy Chamber Orchestra (ACO) *: Play chamber orchestra works in a smaller ensemble with string sections led by BSO members and wind sections coached by BSO musicians. Rehearsals for ACO begin Saturday, June 20.
- Private Lessons *: Take private lessons with one or more BSO members of your choice. Work on solo, chamber or orchestral repertoire. Private lessons scheduled on Saturday, June 20 and Sunday, June 21.
- Solo with Piano*: rehearse and perform a solo piece with pianist and BSO violist Mary Woehr. Solo with Piano rehearsal and performance scheduled for Sunday, June 21.
* Additional fee required for participation. Please note that chamber music and chamber orchestra rehearsals begin June 20.
Orchestral Track: $1,900
Chamber Music Add-On: $650
Chamber Orchestra Add-On: $650
All fees (i.e. application fee, deposit, tuition, parking, private lessons, etc.) are NON-REFUNDABLE. We highly encourage participants to purchase Academy trip insurance. Information regarding trip insurance will be made available to those accepted into the Academy.
Applications are being accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis. Applications are no longer being accepted for the following instruments: Orchestral Track Flute, Orchestral Track Clarinet