BSO Academy Week Orchestral Track
June 21-27, 2015
The Orchestral Track offers musicians an intensive orchestral experience through rehearsals, sectionals, and performances of major orchestral repertoire side-by-side with the BSO.
Orchestral Track Schedule*: June 21-27, 2015
*Track schedule, faculty, content, and locations subject to change.
2015 Repertoire *
Wagner: Overture to Rienzi
Mahler: Third Movement from Symphony No. 1, “Titan”
Stravinsky: The Firebird Suite (1919)
Rimsky-Korsakov: Russian Easter Overture
Mahler: First Movement from Symphony No. 5
Tchaikovsky: Fourth Movement from Symphony No. 2
*Repertoire is subject to change
- Sectionals with the BSO: BSO members lead participants in preparatory sectionals before the week’s orchestral rehearsals begin.
- Participant-Only Rehearsals: The BSO Assistant Conductor Nicholas Hersh leads participants in preparatory rehearsals to understand how the music fits together prior to the start of the full orchestra rehearsals.
- Rehearsals with the BSO: Maestra Marin Alsop leads BSO members and two groups of Academy participants in side-by-side rehearsals throughout the week.
- Performance with the BSO: Culminating the week, participants and BSO members perform together under the baton of Marin Alsop onstage at the Meyerhoff in front of an audience.
- BSO Faculty Classes: Classes and seminars on interesting topics presented by BSO faculty throughout the week.
- Individual Practice: Space available for participants to practice on their own during free time throughout the week.
- Recordings: Participants will receive a digital copy of their performances.
Participants on the orchestral track will also have the option of adding chamber music and/or chamber orchestra to their Academy experience. Add-on activities begin on June 20.
Add-On Program Activities Include:
- Chamber Music *: Rehearse and perform in side-by-side chamber groups with Baltimore Symphony members. Chamber groups must be quartets or larger. Rehearsals for Chamber Music begin Saturday, June 20.
- Academy Chamber Orchestra (ACO) *: Play chamber orchestra works in a smaller ensemble with string sections led by BSO members and wind sections coached by BSO musicians. Rehearsals for ACO begin Saturday, June 20.
- Private Lessons *: Take private lessons with one or more BSO members of your choice. Work on solo, chamber or orchestral repertoire. Private lessons scheduled on Saturday, June 20 and Sunday, June 21.
- Solo with Piano*: rehearse and perform a solo piece with pianist and BSO violist Mary Woehr. Solo with Piano rehearsal and performance scheduled for Sunday, June 21.
* Additional fee required for participation. Please note that chamber music and chamber orchestra rehearsals begin June 20.
Orchestral Track: $1,900
Chamber Music Add-On: $650
Chamber Orchestra Add-On: $650
Scholarships: A limited number of full and partial scholarships will be awarded to qualifying participants on the Orchestral or Music Educator Tracks. Click the link below for more details. (PDF Scholarship Application opens in a new window.)
All fees (i.e. application fee, deposit, tuition, parking, private lessons, etc.) are NON-REFUNDABLE. We highly encourage participants to purchase Academy trip insurance. Information regarding trip insurance will be made available to those accepted into the Academy.
Applications are being accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis. Applications are no longer being accepted for the following instruments: Orchestral Track Flute, Orchestral Track Clarinet