BSYO Group Descriptions
The BSYO is comprised of three ensembles tailored to specific age groups and skill levels, offering each student individualized attention and a supportive, welcoming performance environment. Ensembles include:
- Pre-professional full orchestra
- Geared toward grades 9-12 (*outstanding 8th graders will be considered at the discretion of the Artistic Director and with the endorsement of the student’s private teacher)
- Performs standard orchestral repertoire as well as music by living composers
- Led by BSYO Artistic Director, Ken Lam
The YO is the most advanced orchestra of BSYO. It provides the most talented and dedicated students the opportunity to perform masterworks in the symphonic repertoire as well as music by living composers. In addition to our regular concert season, we host an annual concerto competition and provide chamber music opportunities for our students. The YO is conducted by Ken Lam and receives additional coaching from musicians of the BSO, as well as occasional guest conductors. Rehearsals are on Sunday afternoons from 2-5 pm and membership is by audition.
- Intermediate-level full orchestra
- Geared toward grades 7-10 (*outstanding younger musicians will be considered at the discretion of the Artistic Director and with the endorsement of the student’s private teacher)
- Performs both classic and contemporary works, in the original versions as well as carefully selected arrangements
- Led by MaryAnn Poling
The CO is a full orchestral experience providing a training ground for students preparing for the Youth Orchestra. Most CO students are in grades 7-10, but placement in the CO is by audition only, according to demonstrated musical ability and experience. Conducted by Mary Poling, the CO performs both classic and contemporary works, in the original versions as well as in carefully selected arrangements. Students receive close mentorship from musicians of the BSO and may also participate in chamber music opportunities and the annual CO concerto competition. Rehearsals are on Sunday afternoons from 2:15-4:45 pm and membership is by audition.
- Intended for early-level string players through grade 7
- Emphasis on developing strong musicianship, technique, and ensemble skills
- Led by Nana Vaughn
The SO is BSYO's ensemble for exploring and developing talented string players. With repertoire selected to challenge and inspire students, the SO is ideal for developing strong musicianship and technique that is the foundation for orchestral playing. The SO is a dynamic ensemble conducted by Nana Vaughn and receives additional support and coaching from musicians of the BSO and area professionals. Students also have the opportunity to participate in the chamber music program and the annual SO concerto competition. Rehearsals are on Sunday afternoons from 3-5 pm and membership is by audition.