FROM MARIN ALSOP:
Dear BSO Friends,
One of my favorite moments of the year is when we unveil the programs for the upcoming season to you, our audience. With input from our musicians, audiences and our artistic staff, I simply love the creative process of putting together a concert season. And this might just be my favorite one yet!
In the 2012-13 season, we will embark on a season celebrating the unforgettable impact of film, movie scores and musicals from across the decades. From Charlie Chaplin’s Modern Times and a screening of Leonard Bernstein’s movie musical West Side Story, to Prokofiev’s 1938 historical drama film score Alexander Nevsky, I am thrilled to conduct the orchestra in three different programs featuring cinema that made history. On that theme, in January 2013 our Principal Pops conductor Jack Everly will collaborate with Baltimore-born filmmaker John Waters to mark the 25th anniversary of the original film release of Hairspray with our own concert version.
In addition to our season-long dedication to epic films, we will celebrate the 200th birthday of a German Romantic composer whose operas are nothing short of epic: Richard Wagner. Our two opening programs in September will pay homage to America featuring the music of Aaron Copland, Samuel Barber and a special performance of Bernstein’s “Kaddish” Symphony.
As always, we have the world’s leading soloists, including the great soprano Renee Fleming, violinists Gil Shaham and Midori, pianists Garrick Ohlsson and Simon Trpceski, among many others. And we have a new Holiday Pops program in store for you, too!
I hope you will join me for this great adventure together.
Marin Alsop | BSO Music Director
Are you a current fixed or choose subscriber?
Click here to renew your subscription for the 2012-2013 season.
Not a current subscriber?
Two ways to be a part of the BSO family:
1. Select a fixed series package to guarantee your seats before the general public, and keep those seats as long
as you remain a subscriber. Click here to view our subscription packages.
2. Compose your own concert series and get a taste of the wide variety of programs that the BSO has to offer.
Just choose six or more concerts from the upcoming season, and we'll guarantee you access to the best seats available.
BSO SUBSCRIBERS RECEIVE THESE EXCITING BENEFITS:
• PRIORITY SEATING—the best seats available in your series and section
• 10% DISCOUNT on most additional ticket purchases throughout the season
• Only subscribers can ADD SPECIAL EVENTS with their season package—now at the subscriber rate
• FLEXIBLE TICKET EXCHANGES—exchange your tickets for free online at BSOmusic.org/exchange
• PRE-PAID PARKING—convenience and peace of mind at a special subscriber rate
• FREE NAXOS ONLINE SUBSCRIPTION—Visit BSOmusic.org/naxos to learn more