BSO Announces Annual "Rusty Musicians with the BSO" Concert in Baltimore, September 20
136 amateur musicians to perform onstage with the BSO
Baltimore, Md. (July 21, 2011) - The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra announces the much-anticipated annual "Rusty Musicians with the BSO" on Tuesday, September 20 at 7 p.m. and 8:20 p.m. at the Joseph Meyerhoff Symphony Hall. Amateur musicians are invited to join members of the BSO on stage to rehearse and perform Tchaikovsky's Overture to Romeo and Juliet and Bizet's Habanera and Danse bohème from Carmen Suite No. 2, led by BSO Music Director Marin Alsop. To accommodate a large amount of participants, the evening will be split into two separate sessions, from 7-8 p.m. and 8:20-9:20 p.m. "Rusty Musicians with the BSO" is in keeping with the BSO's vision to increase the community's involvement in music and serve as a cultural resource for the Baltimore-Washington region. Registration for "Rusty Musicians" is now open at BSOmusic.org/rusty. Rusty Musicians concert admission is free and open to the public. See below for complete details.
For the first "Rusty Musicians with the BSO" held at the Music Center at Strathmore in February 2010, more than 600 amateur musicians signed up for a chance to perform with members of the BSO. Since this inaugural event, Rusty Musicians has become a cornerstone of the BSO's community engagement opportunities. This is the second Baltimore event; two Rusty Musician events have been held at Strathmore to date. "By engaging patrons in this directly participatory experience, we are tearing down the walls that separate us from our audiences," said Maestra Alsop.
To view additional testimonials from the first "Rusty Musicians with the BSO", please visit the Rusty Musicians blog at http://bsorustymusicians.aimoo.com/ or view video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT7R_Y6E5Vc .
COMPLETE REGISTRATION DETAILS:
- Participants must be age 25 or older, be able to read music and play an instrument that is part of the standard orchestra instrumentation.
- All participants will be placed in one of two times slots (7:00 pm and 8:20 pm) which will be assigned as instruments are needed. The BSO is unable to make accommodations for time changes or "swaps" between participants.
- Online registration is open. Space is limited, so participants are encouraged to register early. Acceptance is limited to the first 136 applicants.
- Registration will be confirmed via email.
- Participants must submit a $50 registration fee, payable online after receiving the acceptance email, which will secure their place for the event. Further details will be sent in the acceptance email.
All applicants will be informed of their acceptance status on August 10, 2011 via email confirmation.*
Please direct questions to email@example.com
*Applicants will have until 12:00 noon on Friday, August 26, 2011 to pay the nonrefundable registration fee, which will secure their participation in this event. Any applicant who does not pay online by 12:00 noon on Friday, August 26, 2011 will forfeit his/her space in the Rusty Musicians program. The BSO will fill all forfeited spaces with applicants who have been placed on the waiting list.
COMPLETE CONCERT DETAILS
Rusty Musicians with the BSO
Tuesday, September 20, 2011-Joseph Meyerhoff Symphony Hall
Sessions begin at 7 p.m. and 8:20 p.m.
Marin Alsop, conductor
Tchaikovsky: Overture from Romeo and Juliet
Bizet: Selections from Carmen Suite No. 2: Habanera and Danse bohème
This is a non-ticketed event. Admission is free and open to the public.