Position: Assistant Personnel Manager
Reports to: Director of Orchestra Personnel
The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra seeks a qualified and experienced professional to assist with the management of its orchestra personnel. The Assistant Personnel Manager supports the Director of Orchestra Personnel as the primary liaison between the Orchestra, Music Director (and other conductors) and the organization.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- In Director of Orchestra Personnel’s absence, act as management representative for orchestra personnel matters, including ensuring that Orchestra activities are executed within the guidelines of the AFM Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Hire substitute and extra musicians as directed by Director of Orchestra Personnel. Maintain substitute musician lists. Distribute and collect completed tax forms.
- Work concert duty as assigned on a weekly basis, including nights, weekends, and during split orchestra weeks.
- Assist in maintaining personnel files.
- Assist in tracking orchestra attendance, leave requests, string rotation, winds/brass/percussion assignments, guaranteed relief, rosters, and electronic media activity.
- Prepare seasonal assignment charts for winds, brass, and percussion.
- Assist in the coordination of national auditions for orchestral positions, as well as local auditions for subs and extras. Coordinate candidate check-in and backstage warm-up rooms.
- Manage BSO provided instrument insurance, including processing claims and maintaining records.
- Ensure standardization of all operating procedures.
- Be available by telephone or cell phone at all times.
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND CAPABILITIES
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to communicate effectively with individuals and to handle calmly and efficiently situations ranging from routine to emergency.
- Ability to handle multiple interruptions and adjustments to priorities throughout the day.
- Personal integrity and strict code of confidentiality and professionalism.
- Detail oriented and exceptional organizational skills. Ability to work under stress and handle numerous projects simultaneously.
- Ability to implement projects from conception to completion with minimal supervision.
- Proficient in Microsoft programs, including word processing and spreadsheet applications and ability to learn other software programs as ArtsVision.
- Formal music training or equivalent experience; experience in orchestra management and/or playing in a professional orchestra, preferably under a collective bargaining agreement.
- Basic knowledge of the symphonic repertoire.
- Ability to work nights and weekends, as required.
- Must be accessible by mobile phone at all times and be willing to publish mobile phone number to musicians and staff. Mobile phone must be maintained at employee’s expense.
- An appreciation for symphonic music and the arts.
- Bachelor’s degree or related work experience.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The statements contained in this job description reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility. It should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences of relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise to balance the workload.