Auditions for all Orchestras are being heard by video submission
All video auditions should consist of
- Solo of the student’s choice of about 2 minutes in length
- Prepared excerpts from the lists below for each ensemble
Students auditioning on percussion should prepare the following:
- Mallet solo
- Snare Drum Solo
- Required orchestral excerpts, provided by BSYO
Performing orchestral excerpts is one part of your audition requirements (in addition to a solo work of the student’s choice).
To prepare your excerpts:
- Print the excerpts appropriate to your instrument and desired orchestra.
- You should prepare the [bracketed] sections.
- If you would like to be considered for more than one orchestra, you must prepare excerpts for the highest-level orchestra for which you wish to audition.
Youth Orchestra (YO) Excerpts – Students grades 9-12
- Oboe/English Horn*
- Bass Trombone
*Piccolo, English Horn, Bass Clarinet, and Contrabassoon are optional; please prepare the excerpts if you wish to be considered for these instruments. For winds who double, there is an Alto Saxophone excerpt to prepare if you wish to be considered.
**Percussion – You should prepare a mallet solo in addition to the required excerpts.
Concert Orchestra (CO) Excerpts – Students grades 7-10
- Bass Clarinet
- Lever Harp
- Pedal Harp
*Piccolo, English Horn, and Bass Clarinet are optional; please prepare the excerpts if you wish to be considered for these instruments.
**Percussion – You should prepare a mallet solo AND snare solo in addition to the required excerpts.
String Orchestra (SO) Excerpts – Students through grade 7