Position: Associate Director of Production
Reports to: Vice President of Operations
Classification: Salaried, Exempt
THE BALTIMORE SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA and ORCHKIDS
For over a century, the BSO has been recognized as one of America’s leading orchestras and one of Maryland’s most significant cultural institutions. As the largest cultural institution in Maryland, the BSO is internationally recognized and locally admired for its innovation, performances and recordings, and educational community initiatives including OrchKids. Launched in 2008, OrchKids provides children educational resources and fosters social change through the power of music in some of Baltimore’s under-resourced communities.
The Associate Director of Production works to ensure production quality and the effective realization of the organization’s artistic vision within the financial parameters set by the board-approved budget. Reporting to the Vice President of Operations, the Associate Director of Production monitors the production stage crew for all BSO and JMSH concert events, including classical and pops subscription programs, special events, education programs, run-outs, and summer programming. The Associate Director of Production has primary responsibility for producing rentals & presentations and marketing & advancement events.
- Digital Concerts Manager
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensuring professionalism and productivity of stage crew as well as compliance with AFM and IATSE collective bargaining agreements
- Working with the Vice President of Operations and stage crews at JMSH and Strathmore to maximize the performance of acoustic, lighting, sound, riser systems, and other technical aspects of performances, including arranging for all necessary equipment rentals
- Supervising stage crew for all BSO and JMSH events
- Ensuring all stage work is completed in a safe and timely manner
- Ensuring fulfillment of stagehand labor requirements
- Taking the lead in the creation of the annual stagehand budget and assisting with creation of annual production budget
- With Vice President, reviewing stagehand biweekly payroll
- Developing and maintaining all crew schedules and ensuring distribution in adherence to IATSE collective bargaining agreement
- Monitoring and recording all stage crew hours, breaks, penalties and overtime
- Scheduling equipment transportation for Strathmore and other run-out performances
- Monitoring vendor deliveries/pickups for all operations/production needs
- Leading weekly production meetings with crew and other operations staff
- Staffing orchestra services and BSO presentations in concert duty rotation with other General Management staff, including:
- Monitoring temperature and humidity of stage during rehearsals and performances and making HVAC system adjustments as necessary to ensure compliance with AFM collective bargaining agreement
- Coordinating with other members of the General Manager staff to ensure performances run smoothly
- Coordinating communication between front of house and backstage
- Completing event reports following each performance
- Working with Associate Director of Venue Sales on technical aspects of all rentals and presentations
- Ensuring maintenance of all technical equipment
- Oversee the Digital Concerts Manager in the creation and production of BSO videorecording products such as Sessions and concert livestreams, including technical aspects and the paperwork associated with such productions
- Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS AND CAPABILITIES
- A minimum of three (3) years increasingly responsible stage/production management experience
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and to exercise sound judgment
- Requires strong organizational skills and the ability to multi-task and maintain high quality and high safety standards
- Must demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively and professionally both orally and in writing
- Demonstrated technical production experience at a strong artistic level
- Demonstrated experience with labor union practices and labor relations required
- Requires some knowledge of stage lighting, rigging and sound, and familiarity with theater practices, equipment, and facilities
- Knowledge of classical music and symphonic repertoire
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Competitive salary negotiable, commensurate with qualifications and experience
- Health insurance: two options to choose from; all at low cost to the employee
- Dental, Life and Long-Term Disability Insurance, paid entirely by the BSO
- Generous paid time off, including annual, personal and sick leave
- 403(b) Plan
- Health Savings Account, employer contributes portion
- Flexible Spending Accounts, including Medical and Dependent Care
- Employee Assistance Program
- Free/discounted tickets to BSO concerts
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The statements contained in this job description reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility. It should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences of relief, to equalize peak work periods, or otherwise to balance the workload.
THE BALTIMORE SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra and OrchKids do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, differing physical abilities, genetic information, age, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factors.
The BSO is committed to improving and protecting the health of our musicians, staff, and our communities. We comply fully with the COVID-19 requirements of the state of Maryland and the city of Baltimore. It is required that employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination as a condition of employment.
APPENDIX I: BSO MISSION
The BSO performs the highest quality symphonic music of all eras that nurtures the human spirit. The BSO is committed to engaging, inspiring, educating, and serving diverse audiences and to enhancing the State of Maryland as a cultural center of vitality and importance.”
APPENDIX II: BSO SHARED VALUES
In October 2021, the BSO Board of Directors approved the following shared values, or “BSO Creed”:
- We believe the BSO is first and foremost an artistic institution that is dedicated to the finest creative musical expression.
- We seek to facilitate opportunities for creative approaches that allow musicians, staff, board, and partners to collaborate to serve our mission.
- We strive to inform all decisions with our commitment to innovation and continuous improvement.
- We believe the BSO should value, appreciate, and treat all individuals – patrons, staff, musicians, guest artists, and volunteers with compassion, respect, and dignity.
- We seek to create a welcoming, safe, and enjoyable environment for all.
- We strive to embrace all human differences and commit to caring and civility towards all with whom we work and serve.
- We believe it is an honor to present great music to stir and nurture the soul.
- We seek to attract, develop, and retain the best talent in all musicians, staff, board, and volunteers. Everyone who works at the BSO has an important role to play in our success.
- We strive to act with uncompromising integrity and transparency.
ENGAGEMENT / EDUCATION
- We believe deep connections to the diverse communities we serve are essential to our mission.
- We seek to inspire and educate with powerful and meaningful musical experiences for audiences of all ages.
- We strive to nurture the talents of musicians of all ages with accessible educational initiatives and programs.
- We strive to create a culture where musicians, staff, board, and volunteers communicate, collaborate, understand, and appreciate each other’s work.
- We believe diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging – with respect to race, gender, and personal identity – are cultural and strategic imperatives.
- We seek to create a culture of excellence that ensures access and inclusion of diverse voices in all that we do.
We strive to use the universal language of music to bring people together and embrace our multicultural society.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com