Be a Part of the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra
The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra relies on the generous time of over 100 volunteers each season! Join our team of dedicated volunteers to make music happen in our venues, in our schools, and all over our state of Maryland. With a wide variety of support needs, there is a volunteer opportunity for all audiences and ages. Check out our key-support areas below and click the links for more details.
- Administrative Support
- Brand Ambassador
- Baltimore Symphony Youth Orchestra (BSYO) Programs
- Concert Experience at Meyerhoff
- Concert Experience at Strathmore
- Education Programs
- OrchKids On/Off-Site
- Special Events
We are always looking for additional volunteers and welcome all to join us. Complete this quick application and our volunteer manager, LaRay Johnson (firstname.lastname@example.org), will be in touch.
To demonstrate our gratitude for the dedication of our volunteers, the BSO offers the following benefits:
- Complimentary and Discount Tickets to select performances
- Personalized BSO Name Badges
- Invitations to special events in honor of our Donors and Volunteers
- Name recognition in external communications like programs and annual reports
- A stake in the future of the BSO through open feedback and listening sessions with staff
There are few requirements to volunteer at the BSO but we do request the following of all volunteers:
- The ability to use the InIt Live application or website to register, complete training, sign-up for shifts, and track hours.
- Be at least 16 years of age or older
- Be committed to creating a safe and comfortable experience for all BSO patrons, staff, artists, and guests regardless of race, religion, ethnicity, gender, or sexual orientation.
- For some tasks, must be able to bend and stand for long periods of time and be able to lift over 15 pounds.
- Support BSO staff members in the office with a variety of administrative tasks including filing, data entry, material archiving, and mailings.
- Departments that require administrative support include: artistic, advancement, executive, education and marketing.
- Serve as a brand ambassador for the BSO by sharing news and promotions via your social media channels, serve as an interviewer or interviewee for stories, or act as an BSO representative at local festivals and events with postering and passing out flyers.
- You may also be asked to deliver marketing materials to community partners and businesses.
Baltimore Symphony Youth Orchestra
- Act as an usher during BSYO Concerts at Meyerhoff and Carver by welcoming families and patrons, taking tickets and helping to locate seats and restrooms.
- Other assignments as needed by the BSYO staff and team.
- Support BSO staff at the Concierge Desk with a variety of tasks that directly impact the audience experience including distributing pre-concert gifts, mobility assistance, and providing useful information such as recommending area restaurants, transportation, directions, etc.
- Act as a personal guide for groups, greeting them from their shuttle and escorting them to their seats.
- Staff any sales, signings, or exhibits staged in the lobby including the photo booth.
- Special Event support such as checking-in guests for holiday performances, open rehearsals, and lobby events. See Special Event tab for more details.
- Welcome students and teachers to the venue during midweek concerts by helping to orderly deboard and board school buses, following all instructions by traffic and security officers.
- Greet and assist families with small children during Family and Music Box concerts on-site. Facilitate family-friendly activities with audience and help to clean-up lobby after event.
- Act as an usher during midweek, family and music box concerts by taking tickets and helping locate seats and restrooms.
- Support BSO staff during special events like dinners, galas, and other lobby events with decorating, checking-in guests, assisting with coat check, and managing the guest experience with a courteous and responsive demeanor.
- Assist OrchKids staff and instructors with in-school and after-school programming in Baltimore City.
- Provide camp support during the OrchKids summer camp at Goucher.
- Other opportunities as needed by OrchKids staff.
- Additional usher support is often needed to assist the BSO’s professional usher staff during concerts. Volunteer ushers are expected to arrive at a scheduled time and remain at their station during the concert.
- Ushers assist guests in finding their seats, take tickets, hold doors, and maintain crowds.
- To volunteer as an usher, you will be required to take a mandatory orientation session prior to your first shift as volunteer usher.