July 22, 2020
As we have demonstrated in recent weeks and months, we are more vibrant than ever. We are thinking differently, innovating, working together and finding efficiencies to share great music and music education. At the same time, our staff have also been working diligently on plans for a responsible return to the concert hall.
After much discussion, the BSO has come to the conclusion that we will not be able to welcome audiences back into the hall, nor bring the full orchestra together onstage to perform subscription programs for the fall season. Therefore, we have made the very difficult decision to cancel concerts for live audiences beginning in September through the end of November.
It remains our hope to welcome audiences back into the concert hall as soon as we are able. In the interim, we remain committed to sustaining your – and our community’s – needs for the healing and uplifting experience of music. Robotic video cameras have been installed in the Joseph Meyerhoff Symphony Hall, making it possible for the BSO to livestream concerts from the stage long into the future. Exciting planning is also underway for a new digital concert series featuring our superb musicians to be launched this fall. This will be an innovative series pairing performances (of socially distanced or smaller ensembles on stage) with behind-the-scenes content and conversations that you will be able to view from your home, hosted by Music Director Marin Alsop, Associate Conductor Nicholas Hersh, and special guests.
With performance venues and stages closed across the country, arts organizations – including the BSO – are facing an unprecedented challenge without ticket revenue. By supporting the BSO with a gift about the size of an average ticket purchase – $75 for a pair – you can experience a full year of insider access to the extraordinary music you’ll be able to hear onstage and online with our newly announced Membership benefits. You can enjoy a seamless experience wherever you experience your BSO, be it in the Joseph Meyerhoff Symphony Hall, the Music Center at Strathmore, or online at BSOmusic.org. To learn more about Membership and our updated benefits, visit BSOmusic.org/membership.
We remain hopeful that you and our entire BSO family will stay connected through the innovative and exciting ways that will be available to you this fall. More information will be shared with you very soon, and in the meantime, please take a moment to consider joining our Membership program so that you can stay in the know while keeping your Orchestra strong. As always, stay tuned to BSOmusic.org to learn more about our upcoming plans.
We are very sorry to have had to make this difficult decision regarding our concerts. The wonderful feedback we have heard from everyone who is enjoying the virtual recitals, orchestra collaborations and interactive content on BSOoffstage.org and social media channels means the world to us, but we also know that there’s nothing like hearing the full Orchestra live on stage, and we can’t wait to welcome you back!
Peter T. Kjome
President and CEO
Information About Cancelled Concerts for Subscribers
The following options are available to you for cancelled concerts or if you are unable to attend on a rescheduled date:
- Donate your tickets to provide critical operational support to the BSO
- (outright gift, not connected to Membership status, fully tax deductible)
- Donate your tickets toward the value of a BSO Membership.
- Memberships support the BSO’s mission, while giving donors a full calendar year of privileges and special access. Details of our recently updated Membership program are enclosed. (Amounts will be applied on September 1 and are tax deductible, minus the Fair Market Value of Goods and Services received, per IRS Standards. The Development office will send a follow-up communication regarding your status)
- Transfer the value of the tickets into a gift certificate that is redeemable for a period of 4 years
- While we hope you will consider the other options listed above, refunds are available to ticketholders by request.
If we receive no confirmation regarding whether you would prefer to have a refund, gift certificate, or donate the value of your tickets, we will reserve these funds for a period of four years. After that time, we will donate the value of your tickets and provide you with a tax-deductible receipt.
The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra’s public events that have been cancelled include:
- SEASON OPENING GALA CONCERT WITH HILARY HAHN
- SAT, SEP 12, 8:30 PM - MEYERHOFF (Special)
This event has been rescheduled for Sunday, June 20, 2021
at 7 pm with a change of program and soloist to a celebration
of Maestra Marin Alsop with special guest Renée Fleming.
- MOVIE WITH ORCHESTRA: TOY STORY IN CONCERT
- THU, SEP 17, 8 PM - STRATHMORE (Special)
- SAT, SEP 19, 8 PM - MEYERHOFF (Special)
- SUN, SEP 20, 3 PM - MEYERHOFF (Special)
- BEETHOVEN FIDELIO
- FRI, SEP 25, 8 PM - MEYERHOFF (Classical E)
- SAT, SEP 26, 8 PM - STRATHMORE (Classical A)
- ALL RACHMANINOFF
- FRI, OCT 2, 8 PM - MEYERHOFF (Classical F)
- SAT, OCT 3, 8 PM - STRATHMORE (Classical B)
- SUN, OCT 4, 3 PM - MEYERHOFF (Classical K)
- MENDELSSOHN SCOTTISH SYMPHONY
- THU, OCT 8, 8 PM - MEYERHOFF (Classical C)
- SUN, OCT 11, 3 PM - STRATHMORE (Classical Sunday)
- OFF THE CUFF: TCHAIKOVSKY VARIATIONS ON A ROCOCO THEME
- FRI, OCT 9, 8 PM - STRATHMORE (Off The Cuff)
- SAT, OCT 10, 7 PM - MEYERHOFF (Off The Cuff Z)
- THE DOO WOP PROJECT
- THU, OCT 15, 8 PM - STRATHMORE (Pops)
- FRI, OCT 16, 8 PM - MEYERHOFF (SuperPops U)
- SAT, OCT 17, 8 PM - MEYERHOFF (SuperPops V)
- SUN, OCT 18, 3 PM - MEYERHOFF (SuperPops W)
- BERLIOZ SYMPHONIE FANTASTIQUE
- FRI, OCT 23, 8 PM - MEYERHOFF (Classical F)
- SAT, OCT 24, 8 PM - STRATHMORE (Classical A)
- SUN, OCT 25, 3 PM - MEYERHOFF (Classical L)
- MOVIE WITH ORCHESTRA: ALFRED HITCHCOCK’S PSYCHO
- THU, OCT 29, 8 PM - MEYERHOFF (Special)
- FRI, OCT 30, 8 PM - MEYERHOFF (Special)
- GOLDILOCKS AND THE THREE DINOSAURS
- SAT, OCT 31, 11 AM - MEYERHOFF (Family)
- STRAVINSKY RITE OF SPRING
- THU, NOV 12, 8 PM - STRATHMORE (Classical Thursday)
- FRI, NOV 13, 8 PM - MEYERHOFF (Classical F)
- SAT, NOV 14, 8 PM - MEYERHOFF (Classical N)
- SUN, NOV 15, 3 PM - MEYERHOFF (Classical L)
- DVOŘÁK SYMPHONY NO. 8
- THU, NOV 19, 8 PM - MEYERHOFF (Classical C)
- SUN, NOV 22, 3 PM - STRATHMORE (Classical Sunday)
- OFF THE CUFF: HAYDN SINFONIA CONCERTANTE
- FRI, NOV 20, 8 PM - STRATHMORE (Off The Cuff)
- SAT, NOV 21, 7 PM - MEYERHOFF (Off The Cuff Z)
- THE AARON NEVILLE QUINTET
- FRI, NOV 27, 8 PM - MEYERHOFF (SuperPops U)
- SAT, NOV 28, 8 PM - MEYERHOFF (SuperPops V)
- SUN, NOV 29, 3 PM - MEYERHOFF (SuperPops W)
If you have questions, you may also contact us by phone at 877.276.1444. Please note that the BSO Ticket Office is currently operating remotely and responding to a high volume of requests, so your inquiry may take longer than normal to answer. We appreciate your patience and understanding.